Our Torrent Content Upload Guidelines cover what content is allowed to be uploaded here. In this section, we describe in detail how we want this content to be packaged.
In general, we accept only:
|Video||Codecs: Xvid, Divx, H.264/AVC
Containers: AVI, MKV, MP4
Subtitles: (Styled) softsubs
|Codecs: WMV, RM, QT and Indeo, etc
Containers: MPG/MPEG, OGM, RM, FLV, QT, etc
|Other containers are not preferred due to lack of support and acceptance for anime-viewing.
Codecs selected as a balance between compression efficiency and codec acceptance.
Softsubs are preferred for flexibility.
|Scans||Images: PNG, JPG
Archives: ZIP, RAR
|Images: GIF, BMP, TIFF
Archives: 7z, GZip
|PNG and JPG preferred for good compression and quality.
GIF generally discouraged unless the scans are really poor.
Archives selected for widespread use and compatibility.
Refer to the offer-making walkthrough for more information on when to archive manga.
|OGG, APE, TTA||Formats with wide support & acceptance are preferred.
Open-source formats are preferred over proprietary ones.
Preferences are further detailed below. Exceptions to these guidelines may apply (see below for details).
In selecting accepted formats for release, we go for the best quality possible, but we also try to accomodate lower-spec machines that might not be able to handle H.264 or HD content, and content that is compatible with DVD-burning. At the same time, in the interests of simplification, we are slowly cutting down on the number of formats we accept.
<-- increasing rank
- (Group A) H.264 Bluray 1080p
- (Group B) H.264 Bluray 720p
- (Group B) H.264 DVD, usually Dual-Audio
- (Group B) H.264 HDTV/DTV
- (Group C) Xvid/DivX DTV (SD) --> H.264 DTV accepted if no Xvid release available (in such cases H.264 DTV will be dropped from Group B)
- (Group B) H.264 Bluray 720p
Note: Dual-audio release always replaces single-audio release of comparable quality.
Except under special circumstances (see below), we will only accept at most 4 releases (excluding a4e releases):
- 1 release from Group A
- not more than 2 releases from Group B (1 'quality release' and 1 'alternative release' e.g. Dual-Audio)
- Example 1: Quality release - Bluray H.264-720p rip; Alternative release - DVD H.264-Dual-Audio rip
- Example 2: Quality release - HDTV H.264-720p rip; Alternative release - DTV H.264-SD rip (no R1 release)
- Example 3: Quality release - R2 DVD H.264 rip; Alternative release HDTV H.264-720p rip (assuming a good R2 release)
- 1 release from Group C
- Example: DTV Xvid-SD rip
- Example: If Xvid not available, DTV H.264-SD rip accepted (DTV H.264-SD will not be accepted in Group B)
Note: Offers for a release will not be accepted if a better/preferred version is on the way.
Exceptions to Guidelines
The following exceptions apply:
HDTV/DVD rips are temporarily allowed if complete Bluray rips are more than a month away
Releases normally replaced by higher-ranked releases may instead be allowed to co-exist with or replace them if they have something that the higher-ranking offer does not, e.g.:
- better subjective video quality (Staff will decide based on comparison screenshots, video samples (if available), and/or user comments).
- Dual-audio vs Single-audio
- fansubbed translations vs official-R1/modified-R1 translations
- other noteworthy points (to be discussed in Uploaders' Forum or in torrent comments)
In addition, we serve as a4e's release tracker, so their releases will stay on the tracker even if better versions are offered.
(Applies to Group B only)
In certain cases where the 720p Bluray torrent exceeds a certain size (cutoff filesize to be confirmed in time to come), a single-audio 'quality rip' of smaller filesize will be allowed alongside the Bluray rip (i.e. 3 releases accepted for Group B: Bluray, smaller 'quality release' and 'alternative release').
- Example: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro - THORA 720p, 4.4GB; a4e Dual-Audio, 1.35GB; ritchan DVD-rip, 1.80GB
Re-muxing of audio and subtitle tracks from other groups is generally discouraged. We will accept remuxes if the available releases all fail terribly in one or more aspects (video, audio, subtitling, etc). In other words, we will not approve releases with audio from one group and video from another, just because "the audio track from one is somewhat better than the other". Keep group releases intact as far as possible.
Manga & Printed Material
We only allow 1 manga release (best available version) for each manga series, artbook, or other printed material.
We only allow 2 versions of any OST album/compilation:
- 1 lossy release, in MP3 format
- 1 lossless lossless release, in FLAC format
- All other lossless formats should be converted to FLAC before uploading.
- FLACs must be in one-file-per-track format.
- For parent-child torrent groupings, lossless formats are preferred as parents over lossy formats, unless the lossy formats contain more albums or other torrent content.
If in doubt, remember our mantra: Quality over quantity
Do read the walkthrough to making a torrent offer if it is your first time making one.