This is how we want our stuff packaged
We only accept complete, Anime/manga-related Series/Movies/OVAs/printed materials. We also allow Live Action adaptations (of anime/manga and related games/eroge/visual novels).
Not accepted are items specifically made for the American market.
Read the walkthrough to making a torrent offer if it is your first time making one.
The Torrent Content Upload Guidelines cover what content is allowed to be uploaded here. In this section, we describe in detail how we want this content to be packaged.
If in doubt, remember our mantra: Quality over Quantity
In selecting accepted formats for release, we go for the best quality possible, but we also try to accommodate lower-spec machines that might not be able to handle high-bitrate content.
- TV Series
- BD/DVD/TV Specials
- Live Action
- Music Videos
- Codecs: Xvid, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC
- Containers: AVI, MKV, MP4
- Subtitles: Softsubs
- (Group A) 1080p releases
- (Group B) 720p releases
- (Group C) SD (generally 576p and below)
- (Group D) Staff-approved exceptions
- Groups A, B and C have 2 slots each, for the best available single-audio and multi-audio releases.
- If the best available release* happens to be multi-audio, only one slot will be used.
* Releases are judged on video, audio and subtitles. A multi-audio release that is, in all three aspects, comparable to or better than a single-audio release will displace it.
Each video group will hold no more than 2 releases, one per slot (single-audio/multi-audio).
Under certain circumstances listed below, we may grant some releases under video group D:
- Very high bitrate content in Group B with no accepted releases in Group C
- A lower-bitrate option may be granted in Group D for lower-spec machines.
- A release with lower video quality, but has better subtitles than existing releases.
- Other notable exceptions, to be decided by staff.
- E.g. PSNR's HDTV release of GitS movie, which has video quite different from the filtered Blurays.
Note: Offers for a release might not be accepted if a better/preferred version is on the way.
The following exceptions apply:
- HDTV/DVD rips are temporarily allowed if complete Bluray rips are more than a month away. These will be replaced once the Bluray release is uploaded.
- We're still thinking.
Remuxing of audio and subtitle tracks from other groups is generally discouraged. Keep group releases intact as far as possible.
The following Remux exceptions apply:
- We will accept remuxes if the available releases all fail terribly in one or more aspects (video, audio, subtitling, etc). We will not approve releases with audio from one group and video from another, just because "the audio track from one is somewhat better than the other".
- Remuxes that combine a HD video quality release with the english audio track of a lower video quality release will be considered only if there is no sign of a dual audio HD release appearing any time soon. The timing of the audio and subs must be spot on, we do not want some demux, remux, release crap.
- If any HD dual audio alternative exists (either 720p or higher) a remux will not be considered just because it is not available in all HD resolutions.
- Remuxes that combine the best tracks from different, but otherwise complete releases or leave a release as-is BUT add a significant improvement to it (addition of relevant notes or QCing the script) will be considered on a case-to-case basis.
NOTE: If allowed all re-muxed releases must have 'Remux' keyword and credit the groups used in suggested format:
- [Groups] [Title] [Episode number] [CRC] - source of the video (TV, DVD or Bluray) may be added as well, but is optional.
- [BBT-RMX] [Groups] [Title] [Episode number] [CRC] - alternative naming if the remux is intended specifically for BakaBT.
NOTE 2: To keep better track of our files even upon removal please update them in our AniDB entry.
Printed Media types
- Light Novel
- Visual Novels
Printed Media Format
- All Printed Media Except Light Novels
- Images: PNG, JPG
- Archives: ZIP, RAR, 7Z, CBZ, CBR, and CB7
- Light Novels
- Images: PNG, JPG
- Documents: PDF, ePUB
Printed Media Groupings
- We only allow 2 versions of an printed media releases
- (Group B) Scans
- (Group C) Scanlations
- The best scanlation version and industry scan for each manga series.
- We only allow 1 release (best quality version) for artbooks and/or other printed material. Exceptions may apply on a case-by-case basis.
- Exceptions may be granted for completely serialised manga that are not completely scanlated and have no active scanlators working on it.
- Exceptions may be granted for incomplete manga up to the end of the latest story arc if the manga has at least 10 volumes published or has been serialised for over 5 years.
- Exceptions may be granted if an incomplete manga has no active scanlators.
- (Group-based classification is not used for manga.)
- We only allow 3 versions of any OST album/compilation:
- (Group A) lossless, 24bit FLAC format
- (Group B) lossless, FLAC format.
- (Group C) lossy, MP3 format.
- Offers must be in one-file-per-track format.
- All files in an album/compilation should match a single group (Audio Format). You may not have an MP3 file in an otherwise FLAC group release.
- Similarly for Group C only one formate is to be used, i.e. 320kbps CBR or v0 VBR.
Files with the following extensions should be added as extra files:
The following files may be added as part of the main torrent (moderator's decisions will override these rules):
- Translation notes (for certain anime series or manga)
- Timed subtitles (.ass/.srt/,sub), in English only. Subtitle files for other languages should be attached as extra files if so desired.
- Album cover scans (for soundtrack/single albums)
Where in doubt, ask in the Uploader's Forum.
This article is aimed at providing useful information regarding adding screenshots to your description and the software used.
Adding screenshots to your description is necessary, as it's meant to preview the video and subtitle quality for the torrent. For that reason when taking screenshots they must be in source resolution, PNG (lossless) format, unless the video is anamorphic in which case they need to be in display resolution.
r10 - 2013-08-23
You must host your own images. Do not hotlink images. Take a look at some of the approved uploads to get an idea of what is needed before a torrent can be approved.
- Note: Screenshots should be taken in PNG format, at the correct resolution. If the video is anamorphic, make sure screenshots are taken at display aspect ratio and resolution.
- Note 2: At least 1 shot has to show the subtitles with the style defined in the release. Click here for more detailed info.
It is recommended that you use our image hosting server BakaSHOTS as it is the most compatible with our site. Furthermore, we won't have dead screenshots when images are pruned on other hosting sites. To use BakaSHOTS just sign in using your BakaBT account.
If for some reason that doesn't suit you, PhotoBucket is an acceptable alternative.
- Note: While PhotoBucket does offer free accounts, you must use an account with a purchased subscription. The free accounts will generate a watermark over top all linked images.
Image Hosts You Shouldn't Use
- ImageShack - Resizes and degrades image quality after an unknown amount of time. Still useful for comments and temporarily uploading images before transferring them to BakaSHOTS.
- Imgur - According to their "Terms of Service" hotlinking to torrent sites is prohibited.
Adding these tags will not do anything to your description, instead it will add screenshots just below your description using a lightbox viewer for easy viewing. If using HTML code, screenshot tags may be placed inside or outside the <html> tags, there is no difference in parsing either way.
[screenshot]screenshot code goes here[/screenshot]
- Inserts screenshot thumbnails below the description. Thumbnails are resized to 150 pixels in width by default.
[screenshot=200]screenshot code goes here[/screenshot]
- Inserts screenshot thumbnails 200 pixels wide below the description. Change 200 to the pixel width of your screenshot thumbnails as necessary.
You can add more than one block of screenshots, possibly with different size thumbnails.
[img]link to image[/img]
- Will add one image. You can add as many as you like.
[url=link to image][img]link to thumbnail[/img][/url]
- Allows you to explicitly define your own thumbnail images. If no thumbnail image is supplied it will use the linked image and resize it to whatever width is supplied for the thumbnail.
NOTE: Screenshots will not show up in the Sandbox; you have to go to the torrent description page in order to view them.
If thumbnail images are not used, the big images are loaded first, then resized to thumbnail-size on your screen. This makes image-loading really slow, and also make scrolling laggy, so as far as possible supply thumbnail images or use an image-host that auto-generates them.
For details on how to insert images hosted on BakaSHOTS into descriptions, please see here: BBCode#BakaSHOTS.