Windows Video Playback
This article is aimed at providing useful information regarding playback on Windows based computers.
A List of Commonly Used Players
- ALLPlayer (Acceptable Player)
- This player will utilize CCCP, but has a confusing interface and useless features. It is also rather homely.
- BSPlayer (Bad Player)
- We don't suggest anyone uses this player. It is filled with bugs.
- Coreplayer (Acceptable Player)
- Developed by the same team that developed the CoreAVC codec. It does not uililize CCCP, meaning it only uses internal filters. Also it will not render subtitles.
- DivX Player (Bad Player)
- This player is semi-compatible with CCCP. It will play MKV, OGM, and MP4 files, but it cannot play audio files. Not recommended for use.
- FFPlayer (Bad Player)
- Doesn't utilize vsfilter.
- JetAudio Player (Acceptable Player)
- KMPlayer (Acceptable Player)
- Media Player Classic (MPC) (Good Player)
- This player is included in CCCP. It is recommended that you use this player, however it must be configured correctly. Refer to this guide.
- MPlayer (Acceptable Player)
- This player only utilizes internal filters. It will play videos as well as CCCP can, but is not user friendly.
- QuickTime (Bad Player)
- Will play MP4 files, but not AVI, MKV, or OGM files. It is recommended that you use the QT Alternative which works in conjuction with Media Player Classic.
- RealPlayer 10 (Bad Player)
- Loads CCCP with AVI files, but won't load MKV/OGM files. It is recommended that you use the Real Alternativewhich works in conjunction with Media Player Classic.
- The Core Media Player (TCMP) (Acceptable Player)
- Not to be confused with the Coreplayer (see above). It will work fine if you don't use the included filters.
- VLC Media Player (Bad Player)
- This player supports nearly every media filetype one may encounter, but is not recommended for use. It does not utilize external codecs and has a slow, buggy interface. It also does not render subtitles correctly.
- WinAmp 5 (Acceptable Player)
- Will work fine if configured correctly. Subtitles must be loaded manually.
- Windows Media Player (Acceptable Player)
- Not to be confused with Media Player Classic (see above). Will play fine, but will sometimes crash. Various other issues.
- Zoom Player (Good Player)
- This player is included in CCCP
Codecs and Codec Packs
- CCCP (Recommended)
- Stands for Combined Community Codec Pack. The CCCP was created to consolidate the filter packs of many different fansub groups into a single reliable filter pack that is shared by all of the fansub groups.
- CoreAVC Professional (Recommended if you have trouble with h264 encodes)
- Refer to Psyren's guide