A BitTorrent Client is computer software that utilizes the BitTorrent P2P protocol to download and upload data. The original BitTorrent client was released in 2002 by Bram Cohen. Since then, many different clients have developed, all of which are at least partially based on the original BitTorrent client.
Please be sure to avoid all clients listed under Not Recommended since they are not suggested to use with BoxTorrents because of various reasons.
- One of the most preferred clients on BoxTorrents. This client is known for having a small distribution size, despite being feature rich, and using little system resources. Available for Windows and WINE emulation only.
- Vuze (Azureus) (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- One of the most preferred clients on BoxTorrents. This client has recently changed name to Vuze from it's old name Azureus.
- What Vuze is unique for is it's community part, which allows you to share torrents easily with your friends.
- While this client is very rich in features, it is written in Java, which makes it slow by nature, and is quite a memory hog. Dispite these enourmous flaws, it is still one of the best.
- rTorrent (Linux, cygwin?)
- A mature BitTorrent client built around the libTorrent C++ library. Ncurses-based.
- Uses very minimal resources.
- Often used in a detached GNU Screen session.
- Has many web front-ends available.
- ABC (Windows, Linux)
- BitTornado (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- Client developed by John Hoffman. This client was the first to include super seeding. This client automatically bans connections with BitComet clients.
- BitTorrent 5 (Mainline) (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- The official BitTorrent client, nicknamed Mainline by developers. The last version before BitTorrent Inc. switched to the uTorrent build.
- The newest version for Mac is 4.27.2 and Linux 5.2.0.
- BitTorrent 6 (Windows)
- The official BitTorrent client. It is based on the uTorrent client. Only big difference from uTorrent is that it comes with support for BitTorrent DNA™.
- BitSpirit (Windows)
- Deluge (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X)
- Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- KTorrent (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X)
- QTorrent (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- QTorrent bundles it's own version of BitTornado but depend on PyQt (which you much install seperatly).
- Transmission (Linux, Mac OS X, BeOS)
- A client that runs on Unix based systems, Mac OS X, and BeOS. Default client for Ubuntu Linux, Zenwalk Linux and some other distributions. This client is known for having a small distribution size.
- BitComet (Windows)
- This client is not suggested for use in the BoxTorrents community. It is currently only available for the Windows platform.
- BitLord (Windows)
- This client is based on the BitComet client and includes adware and malware. It is not suggested for use in the BoxTorrents community. It is currently only available for the Windows platform.
- Shareaza (Windows)
- There exists two Shareza, one false and the true client. Shareza V4 is the false one, and it comes bundled with adware. Shareza V2 is the true client.