The main method the anime community uses to patch files is by using xdelta. This is necessary when a group release a new version of an episode (Usually in a batch). xdelta is a commmand line program using VCDIFF. When patching using xdelta you will be provided with .xdelta files. With the xdelta command prompt and .xdelta files you can patch whichever file needed.
Patching with xdelta (Windows and Unix)
|xdelta3.exe -d -s||old_file||delta_file||new_file|
- Download xdelta3 from here. If the latest version isn't working for you try an older release
- Copy the .exe file into the folder with your .xdelta file and the file you want to patch. For your convenience, rename to xdelta3.exe
- Open up your cmd and navigate to the folder where the episode, .xdelta, and .exe file is at.
- Type in
xdelta3 -d -s old_filename.mkv deltafile.xdelta new_filename.mkv
- You will have to wait a few moments for the patch to finish. Once done you will see the new file in your folder.
If you get your .xdelta file from a fansub group you may not need to use -s. This will work just fine:
xdelta3 -d file.xdelta
Patching with xdelta (Mac)
You'll have to install xdelta on your Mac. Easy way is to install Homebrew and type "brew install xdelta" in your terminal. After that put the patch files in same same folder as your v1 files, navigate with cd on your terminal in that folder, and use the standard xdelta3 commands:
xdelta3 -d file.xdelta
If you're having problems with homebrew, an alternative is to use MultiPatch.
Batch Files on Windows
It's easy to patch more than one file at the same time. You'll need to create a .bat file.
- Open notepad
- For every line type in exactly what you would type inside the cmd, except with a different .xdelta file for each episode.
- At the end type in @pause (Optional, just prevents the command line from closing).
- Save as a .bat and run the file.
This is an example of how a .bat would look like for xdelta patching (Special thanks to Tiberium Wolf):
xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_01_[720p][900E8404].mkv" "01v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_01_[720p-v2][DFC39F0F].mkv" xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_02_[720p][3996A1DF].mkv" "02v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_02_[720p-v2][77D7488F].mkv" xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_06_[720p][CD450656].mkv" "06v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_06_[720p-v2][5C608A55].mkv" xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_08_[720p][23E4B85A].mkv" "08v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_08_[720p-v2][8990A041].mkv" xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_11_[720p][50D118C3].mkv" "11v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_11_[720p-v2][56E32A06].mkv" xdelta3 -d -s "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_12_[720p][3AA25CFB].mkv" "12v2.xdelta" "[UTW-Underwater]_Tasogare_Otome_x_Amnesia_-_12_[720p-v2][2A76D55B].mkv" @pause