- 1 Site Content Information
- 2 User Information
- 2.1 I registered an account but did not receive the confirmation e-mail!
- 2.2 I've lost my user name or password! Can you send it to me?
- 2.3 Can you rename my account?
- 2.4 Will my account still exist if I don't use it for a while?
- 2.5 My account is gone! Can you recover it?
- 2.6 What is MY ratio?
- 2.7 Why is my IP displayed on my details page?
- 2.8 Help! I cannot login!? (a.k.a. Login of Death)
- 2.9 Why is my port number reported as "---"? (And why should I care?)
- 2.10 What are the different user classes?
- 2.11 How do I become a Power User?
- 2.12 How do I view peer lists for torrents?
- 2.13 How do I add an avatar to my profile?
- 2.14 I am warned; what do I do?
- 3 Statistics Tracking
- 4 Uploading
- 5 Downloading/Seeding
- 6 What if I can't find the answer to my problem here?
Site Content Information
What is this Bittorrent all about anyway? How do I get the files?
Check out Brian's Bittorrent FAQ and Guide.
How do I watch the files I download?
Visit this page and have a look around. The CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) is the simplest codec pack available on the internet, and the simplest codec pack to set up. Out of the box, it is practically guaranteed to play anything that you throw at it (from our site, of course). If you have any problems, please look here for possible solutions. If you can't find one, you may either post in the forums asking for help or use the Help Form.
Where can I learn more about codecs/anime/manga/Japanese culture?
Google and Wikipedia are your friends. For specific information on Japanese animations, there are 3 main resources: AniDB, AnimeNewsNetwork (ANN), and AnimeNFO. Each site offers unique information on any given title.
I registered an account but did not receive the confirmation e-mail!
Mail can sometimes take up to half a day to be sent out by our server. Please be patient. Note though that if you didn't receive the email the first time it will probably not succeed the second time either so you should really try another email address. Check your spam folder as well, as many services such as Hotmail have a tendency to see registration emails as spam messages. GMail appears to have a more intelligent filtering system, and is the recommended email service.
I've lost my user name or password! Can you send it to me?
Please use this form to have the login details mailed back to you.
Can you rename my account?
Users can rename their account on the tracker by using this form. Please note that the user is required to be a power user with report privileges. You may only rename your account once, so choose carefully.
Will my account still exist if I don't use it for a while?
Used accounts are pruned after 6 months. Unused accounts are pruned sooner (0 download, 0 upload).
My account is gone! Can you recover it?
Unfortunately, we can't do anything about pruned accounts. If you were able to create a new account under the same name and/or e-mail address, it is proof that your old account is permanently gone.
What is MY ratio?
Click on your profile link, then on your user name (at the top).
It's important to distinguish between your overall ratio and the individual ratio on each torrent you may be seeding or leeching. The overall ratio takes into account the total uploaded and downloaded from your account since you joined the site. The individual ratio takes into account those values for each torrent.
You may see two symbols instead of a number: "Inf.", which is just an abbreviation for Infinity, and means that you have downloaded 0 bytes while uploading a non-zero amount (ul/dl becomes infinity); "---", which should be read as "non-available", and shows up when you have both downloaded and uploaded 0 bytes (ul/dl = 0/0 which is an indeterminate amount).
Why is my IP displayed on my details page?
Only you and the site moderators can view your IP address and email. Other users do not see that information.
Help! I cannot login!? (a.k.a. Login of Death)
This problem sometimes occurs with MSIE. Close all Internet Explorer windows and open Internet Options in the control panel. Click the Delete Cookies button. You should now be able to login. Another solution is to visit http://www.boxtorrents.com/my.php
Why is my port number reported as "---"? (And why should I care?)
The tracker has determined that you are firewalled or NATed and cannot accept incoming connections.
This means that other peers in the swarm will be unable to connect to you, only you to them. Even worse, if two peers are both in this state they will not be able to connect at all. This has obviously a detrimental effect on the overall speed.
The way to solve the problem involves opening the ports used for incoming connections (the same range you defined in your client) on the firewall and/or configuring your NAT server to use a basic form of NAT for that range instead of NAPT (the actual process differs widely between different router models. Check your router documentation and/or support forum. You will also find lots of information on the subject at PortForward).
What are the different user classes?
|Power User||Higher ranked user. Can view peer lists and report bad torrents or comments. Can make offers of torrents they wish to upload or request to adopt certain torrents.|
|Uploader||These people can upload directly to the torrent pool without requiring moderator approval. These people are appointed by staff if deemed a trustworthy member of the Box community.|
|Power Uploader||Same as Power User, but with upload rights.|
|Moderator/Admin||Appointed by Admins. Don't ask about becoming one.|
(All members can choose to show torrents with adult material.)
How do I become a Power User?
Upload at least 25GB and have a ratio equal to or greater than 1.
How do I view peer lists for torrents?
Become a Power User and click on the Peer List tab under torrent descriptions. Non-Power Users can not view peer lists.
How do I add an avatar to my profile?
First, find an image that you like, and that is within the rules. Then you will have to upload to some webspace, such as Photobucket, Upload-It! or ImageShack. All that is left to do is copy the URL (direct link) you were given when uploading it to the avatar field in your profile. Bold text Please do not add a comment just to test your avatar. If everything is alright, you'll see it in your details page.
I am warned; what do I do?
What is a warning?
A warning means that your account currently has reduced rights; namely, you may not download. If you are warned it means you did something very wrong. The warning is there as a punishment, as well as to protect other users. Do keep in mind that BoxTorrents only works because many users put in some effort and bandwidth to keep our torrents healthy and community functional.
Why was I warned?
The warning may be set automatically if your ratio drops below a certain point or it may be set by a moderator if you broke a rule. In the second case, warnings will be longer depending on the severity of your offence that garnered the warning.
OK, so now what?
While you are warned, you may not download; you are only allowed to seed. When you are warned an evaluation time will be scheduled (usually 1 week ahead). Your account is then re-evaluated and if your ratio is high enough, the warning will be lifted. If your ratio is not high enough a new evaluation time will be scheduled, and so on. If you got warned because of a bad ratio (or if you you think you got warned because of a bad ratio ;) ) - the only way to get rid of the warning is by increasing your uploaded amount. The most obvious way is by seeding, but you may also use the bonus system. A third option is donating; the why and how is explained on the donation page.
(This page is for specific Boxtorrents-related questions only. For more general support questions see Troubleshooting.)
What if I can't find the answer to my problem here?
Post in the forums, by all means. You'll find it's a friendly and helpful place, provided you follow a few basic guidelines:
- Make sure your problem is not answered in this FAQ. There's no point in posting just to be sent back here. Also refer to our Troubleshooting page.
- Before posting, read the stickied topics (the ones at the top). Many times new information that still hasn't been incorporated in the FAQ can be found there.
- Help us in helping you. Do not just say "it doesn't work!". Provide details so that we don't have to guess or waste time asking. What client do you use? What's your OS? What's your network setup? What's the exact error message you get, if any? What are the torrents you are having problems with? The more you tell the easiest it will be for us, and the more probable your post will get a reply.
- And needless to say: be polite. Demanding help rarely works, asking for it usually does the trick.
- DO NOT send a private message to a staff member, if you don't wish to post in the forums use the help form instead.
- To prove that you have read this FAQ before seeking help, please quote the words 'Gelatin Fish Sandwich' in your post. We are quite serious. Failure to do so will result in your thread being locked immediately or your help request being ignored.